Friday, July 07, 2006

I'm melting!

Sometimes I feel like I really am! Especially with the heat wave we've been getting for the last two weeks! Sheesh. Edmonton usually gets its week of summer sometime in August, not for most of June and July!

Ah well.

According to many reports, friends, doctors and (tomorrow) a blood test, Steven and I will be expecting our first child! If I am pregnant (and all the signs point to a positive on that) we'll be having our first baby in March sometime! Or thereabouts.

Being two weeks late has pretty much put paid to the pregnancy being fact, because anything else that can cause your period to stop for two weeks without it being extremely serious and painful is the next thing to non-existant! Not that a pregnancy isn't serious, but I've heard from reliable sources that unless something is very wrong, the only pain is the labour and subsequent delivery.
Steven is hoping for a boy, but I don't know what I want to have first, a boy or a girl. I consider everything I know about my side of the family and how all the women's pregnancies went, and I'll likely have a boy first, because with my grandparents on both sides, they ALL came from boy-first families. Then my parents both came from girl-first families. Now my oldest brother has two little girls of his own, and he's the first boy. Now, I'm the first girl, so according to the family trend, I'll have a boy first. This is all speculation, mind. It's all up to the Lord and what He decides our household needs to have first.
Either way, I'm just happy to be able to live up to one of my VERY-long-term daydreams, and finally become a mother! I don't know what kind of mother I'll make, but I hope to be a righteous and uplifting one.
You know, that actually reminded me of an on-going debate I've been hearing a lot about lately. People apparently still consider women in the workforce to be negligible and, in the cases of some women in power, even laughable. I say Kudos to those women for working up to their positions! More often than not, they've meritted it! Personally, I'm proud of being a strong woman, and being able to be a mother, but that doesn't mean that I'm superior to everyone else. Nor am I saying that I'm inferior to everyone else. No, in this day and age, especially with my husband Steven, I am superior in some things, inferior in others, and the rest (majority) of the time, we are partners. I just don't understand how some people can take that and screw the heck out of it to put someone else down. Is it a power-trip thing? Wanting leverage over someone?
I just don't get it.
And here's another thing: Being male or female does not make you better or worse at something. Yes, only women can get pregnant, and only men can get prostate cancer, but that's just what makes us seperate from eachother. That's how we balance eachother!
I guess my upbringing was really weird for me to have this kind of outlook, but I just don't understand why people decide they have to shout louder to convince everyone else that they are the only ones that are right, and everyone else is wrong? PLEASE, people! My ears ache from all the lung room!
I don't know WHERE that last came from...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home